Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Red Hook and Containers

There is an area of Brooklyn called Red Hook that historically, was one of New York City’s main waterfronts and ship servicing areas. Today it remains an area of activity more incidental to shipping, for example, warehousing, than that of berthing activity, though there is some, albeit, on a much smaller scale than before.

I was recently in Red Hook sitting on a small fishing pier that has a great view of the New York Harbor with all of its tugboats, container ships, and of course, Lady Liberty. While walking there, my friend and I passed a 40 ft. container sitting on a chassis, and being the “trade nerd” I am (as described by a commenter to a post I wrote last month), I began describing the differences in containers - the metal boxes cargo is transported in whether by steamship, train or truck – the nuances between them, e.g., refrigerated, insulated, etc., a 40 ft. versus a 20 ft. container, and containerization generally. I also shared other tidbits of information such as the concept of “free time,” which is a certain number of days following the arrival of a container for the purchaser/consignee of the shipment to unload the cargo and return the container to the carrier’s marine terminal.

This particular container had numerous structural deficiencies including small holes and lots of dents. Notably, the wheels of the chassis looked so old I wondered how they could be operable, which caused me to think that this container could be used for temporary storage and raised a host of warehouseman liability issues in my mind.

I described the risk to cargo during an ocean carriage situation if the moisture in a container became too high, citing examples I have dealt with in cargo claim cases, including that of rusty machinery and rotten mung beans.

As I pointed out the container number, my friend asked what some of the other words and numbers on the exterior of the container meant, and we went through what some of the terms meant, including “tare weight,” payload and cubic capacity. To see this information on some common cargo shipping container sizes, click here.

Questions/comments? Post below or email me at clark.deanna@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment