Friday, May 30, 2014

U.S. Customs Announces Two New Forms – Can You Spot the Differences From the Old Ones?

Like most Americans, I love new things, so naturally I was pleased to see that Customs announced something new for us today (yay!).

Effective July 1, 2014, the new versions of both the Customs Bond form (Form 301) and the Importer ID Input Record form (Form 5106) will be mandatory and any other version will not be accepted.

Links to these can be found here:



Any questions regarding either of these can be directed to Tom Scott, Office of Administration, at (317) 614-4502.

Any other questions or comments can be posted below or emailed to me at

Keep up with me at or:
On Twitter @fashcompliance


  1. I have a question. Is it possible for someone to acquire their license, and then just work as an independent contractor for a FEW clients, without going through the process of starting entry-level as an import specialist? I feel like this is such a niche and small industry (US Customs Broker) that it would be difficult to get your foot in the door full time with more than entry-level salary. Yay or Nay? Thank you.

  2. Hi E.S., your question is a bit tough to answer because someone who acquires their license would not typically then go and work as a customs specialist.

    When starting out new in any industry, gaining hands-on experience by working with more tenured professionals is probably the best way to not only learn the business but to learn how to avoid pitfalls and deal with problems so that you can avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

    If you change your perspective and think of working entry-level as an opportunity to gain some solid skills which could then be transferred to another job with a higher paying salary, you may understand why ultimately you will be in a better position in the long run in as someone working in this business.